Friday, February 26, 2010

muang ngoi neua

One of the reasons I wanted to get to Laos was to get away from everything - even for just a short amount of time. It seemed remote, and until very recently, I really hadn't heard a whole lot about it from friends or even other travelers. During the first ten days of the trip in Laos, I didn't feel especially disconnected from anything. I was traveling with my Kellogg friends and everywhere we went we had western food, internet cafes and well... electricity. I decided to change that this week. With all the Kellogg folks heading their seperate ways to other parts of the continent, I continued on in Laos making my way 4-5 hours north of Luang Prabang to a tiny village called Muang Ngoi Neua. I still don't think I'm pronouncing it right, but I made it here safely and without too much hassle. It started with a quick three-hour bus ride to Nong Khiaw from LP, where I was dropped off on one side of the bridge, litterally. There really wasn't a whole lot else to distinguish this as a bus stop - save perhaps a few other confused westerners and another mini-bus.

Luckily, I quickly found the one tourism company in Nong Khiaw and asked for directions to the "port." This in turn was nothing more than a little hut (where you buy tickets) and cement stairs leading down to the Nam Ou river. There I bought a ticket to Muang Ngoi Neua (which, as I mentioned, I don't know how to pronouce properly) and was informed that the boat left in two hours. This gave me ample time to find Nong Khiaw's finest dining establishment and order some fried noodles. They were good. So what if I got rice instead of noodles.

The boat ride was a bit dodgy as they say in some parts of the world. I'm not convinced that the boat was designed to carry 24 westerners and their oversized backpacks up through rapids, but who am I to say. Sitting in the back, and right next to a wonderfully noisy 4-cylinder Toyota engine, I could see the front of the long tail boat move in every direction but the one the back of the boat was moving in. Amusing really.

Muang Ngoi Neua is everything I hoped it would be. It's basically the little village that time almost forgot - but didn't. While there aren't any phone lines and the only electricity comes from generators which run for but a few hours in the evening, there are a number of guesthouses and bungalows, as well as restaurants, that cater to backpackers and a few adventurous tour groups. A relatively cold Beer Lao is never that far away - neither is the cell tower or the satelite dishes. I even found a place with a warm shower. It's really an easy way to get away from it all for a couple days.

I ended up spending two nights and only one full day there, but I met some wonderful travelers and had a great time exploring the local villages on my own. Locals and tourists alike are quick to point you in the right direction as you're wandering through the dry rice paddy fields behind town, and other than the occasional snake or water buffalo, there really isn't much else to worry about. In the end, it's exactly what I hope Laos would be and if I didn't need to get back to reality sooner, I would happily spend a couple more days here just watching the overfilled long tail boats take tourists in and out of this little village on the Nam Ou River.

No comments: