Sunday, June 15, 2008

ha noi

First of all, Happy Father's Day dad :) While I wait for Haskell to arrive tonight I thought I'd upload a few pictures from my first couple days in Ha Noi and jot down a few thoughts on the city. I'm not sure why this country has such an effect on me, but I really really enjoy it here. Normally I hate hot, humid, oven-like weather - which is certainly an apt description of the weather here. Add to that constant harrassment from the moto-drivers and street venders, who constantly call out at you (and sometimes physically grab you) trying to get you to hop on their bike or buy whatever crap they're selling, and I can see how someone would hate it here. And although I often get the urge to punch the moto drivers, I usually just keep walking, look ahead and inevetably start smiling again.

No matter where you go, the streets are buzzing with activity from before sunrise to well after sunset with people wheeling and dealing - and most importantly eating. There's food everywhere! At every street corner and everywhere in between, someone is selling something for you to eat. Of course I have no idea what most of it is, but that hasn't stopped me so far. For example... yesterday at around dinner time, the skies absolutely opened up. Torrential rain. I guess that's why they call it the "rainy season." So there I was standing at some random street corner under an awning, without an umbrella or rain coat - hardly surprising, right dad? Of course, there also happened to be a lady serving bowls of beef pho (soup) straight out of a big cauldron. Around her, a group of maybe two dozen patrons happily slurping down their "fast-food" on tiny little 6" stools. So of course, I hunkered down and ordered myself a bowl, joining everyone else in a quick meal. By the time I was done the rain had conveniently passed.

Today I had some sticky rice with what seemed to be chicken for lunch and a bowl of pho with with I gathered were duck innards for dinner. I honestly couldn't figure out what half the innards were in my soup.. duck blood? duck intestines? I have no clue... but I'm thinking that's probably a good thing - though make no mistake, it was quite tasty. Now I'm thinking I need to go get more street food, just cause I can't help it. Oops nevermind - the skies just opened up again - maybe I'll go later. For now, enjoy the pics, I'll try to get more food pictures up in the next couple days for you foodies out there :)

No comments: