Sunday, June 1, 2008

moving on

I've moved on from Kunming and headed north as planned. Though frustrating, my stay in Kunming was quite productive in the end. Among other things, I ate my first mangosteen (and have eaten a dozen since - I think they taste a bit like a peach and a pear, but also a bit tart and with the texture of a lychee...), I also found an english book to read at a bookstore near Yunnan Universtiy - no small task in Southwest China. Though my choices were pretty limited - mostly to classics - I found a book about the history of salt by Mark Kurlansky, the same author wrote about the history of the oyster in New York City which I just finished and enjoyed (recommended for you foodies). So I was more than happy to pay a pretty penny for this book. I was also able to buy a pair of hiking shoes in Kunming - for just a hair over US$14. Not sure how long they're gonna last, but the price is hard to beat.

So now I am currently in Dali, a five-hour bus ride northwest of Kunming and a small town populated by the Bai minority. The town is right between Lake Erhai and the Cangshan Mountains and seems really nice and peaceful after all the large cities. Since it's quite a tourist/backpacker destination, most places here have english menus - making it much easier to eat! The hostel/guesthouse I'm staying at is also by far the best place I've stayed at so far on the entire trip. It's brand new, not too big and very clean. For less than $5 a night I can't imagine staying at a much nicer place.

Today went on a quick 10km hike in the Cangshan Mountains which offered great views of the city and lake. Tomorrow I may spend some time in the village and around the lake, and then continue north towards Lijiang in the afternoon. I've managed to upload some pictures from Beijing and Xi'an for your enjoyment. Working on the Dali pictures as we speak. It's not quite as easy when I'm on a shared computer...

No comments: